Ode to a Jack O’Lantern

Ode to a Jack O’Lantern

Behold the jack o’ lantern
Grins aglow
Face slowly changing
Teeth sucked in, black rot, fuzzy spots
Becoming earth once more


Oh ephemeral jack o’lantern – can anything be done about it’s early demise? Truth be told – the answer is yes and no. Once you cut into your great pumpkin, the end is already near. However, there are things that can be done to prolong the life of your pumpkin – at least for a few days before tossing it into the compost heap!

There is a product called pumpkin fresh that does an amazing job of prolonging the life of Jack. But, if you don’t want to buy yet another product – try the bleach method. Use about 1 tsp. of bleach to 1 gallon of water. Spray your jack o’lantern well, inside and out, and then turn it upside down to let any extra drain out – alternately, you can just stick a paper towel or two inside of it to wick away the moisture – just remember to take the paper towel out BEFORE you throw in a candle! 😉 Spray down your pumpkin with the bleach water daily. I’ve heard recommendations smearing (ugh, I hate that word) vaseline on and in the pumpkin after the bleach treatment but that just sounds a wee bit disgusting to me. It’s tough enough to get all mucked up yanking out pumpkin guts!

So, hopefully, our jack o’lantern will last more than a day this year! Crossing my fingers!

Happy and safe Halloween


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s